I’m very proud to share that Standard Web Standards was recently recognized by a body comprised of government agencies and non-government organizations for its web accessibility features.
The Philippines’ National Council on Disabiliy Affairs, National Computer Center of the Commission on Information and Communications Technology, Vision Office Support Services Ltd. and the Philippine Web Accessibility Group gave several websites commendations during the form function & class Web Conference last July 10, 2009. Plaques were presented to the website owners for including accessibility features, and promoting web standards, usability and accessibility.
The other websites that were recognized as “disabled-friendly” were:
- http://www.philcecnet.ph – Official Philippine E-center Community Portal of the National Computer Center represented by Dr. Angelo Juan Ramos (Government)
- http://www.blinding-light.com – Personal Website of Ms.Miko Reznor (Anna Monica Esguerra)
- http://www.lilianefoundationphil.org – Official Website of Liliane Foundation Philippines represented by Sis. Agnetia Naval, National Coordinator (Non-government Organization)
Awardees (from left): Regnard Raquedan, Eloisa San Mateo, Sis. Agnetia Naval, Anna Monica Esguerra, Jojo Esposa of PWAG and NCDA Executive Director Geraldine Ruiz (seated)
I’d like to thank the agencies for the honor and recognition of the extra effort I put in to make my blog more accessible. ðŸ˜€
(Photo from Jojo Esposa’s Picasa Web Album)
And the Philippine Web Designers Organization keeps chugging along: The 4th Mini Web Design Conference happened last Wednesday, March 18 2009 at the G2VC Bar at the Orient Square Building in Ortigas, Pasig City.
The event had a pleasant surprise as the folks from G2VC and Elymar Apao treated the event’s participants to dinner and the hearty meal sure made everyone happy (and that includes me). After dinner, the program for the evening commenced and the lovely emcee Sarah kicked-off the talks. Here’s a list of the night’s speakers & topics:
My blunder for the evening: I raffled off a web design/development book, but I left it in the office! (My bad!) But we raffled it off anyway, with me handing the book personally to the winner.
Many thanks to Ia and Mae for tirelessly facilitating the Mini Web Design Conference. The next one will be on June 2009.
Check this out: more photos of the event: Azrael’s Multiply site.
Thanks to the success of the first Mini Web Design Conference, we’re coming up with a follow up! ðŸ˜€
The second Form, Function & Class will be held tomorrow at the G2VC Tech Bar in Ortigas Center, Pasig City. The roster of speakers are:
It’s a longer list of speakers so I’m sure it will be a very enriching evening.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend because I’ll be having my thesis defense
on the 27th and the 28th.
But I’m sure the 2nd Mini Web Design Conference will also be a smashing success.
A good portion of the Philippine blogosphere (including myself) considered September 6, 2008 a special day because it was WordCamp Philippines 2008 day.
And that day started really early because I had to polish the presentation I was going to give as a plenary session for WordCamp. My topic was something very close to my heart– Web Standards and WordPress– two of the main components of this blog. Since I left the house late in the morning, that meant I had to miss a significant part of the day’s talks. (This should be a lesson to me not to wait for the last day/hour/minute.)
The past week was already doozy for me because I had already given a talk at the Y4IT Conference on Wednesday, and then the WordCamp a few days later. (I think Jayvee and Juned had the same schedule) The two talks were significant, yet contrasting. Y4IT was like a rock concert, and WordCamp was more like an Unplugged event where it was more grounded and intimate.
When I arrived at the College of St. Benilde, it was in the middle of the i.ph talk. I met a few folks from the organizing committee who were extremely helpful. What they lacked in facilites, they really made up by the personal attention towards me and effort.
I was slotted after Aileen‘s Google Analytics presentation and once I got to the stage, I had some more clarity to what WordCamp was really all about. Unlike talks I’ve done before, I didn’t feel like an expert lecturing people, but a peer to the audience sharing what I like and do. We were all bloggers or somehow involved in blogging, so it was easier to draw from my experiences. In the end, I really felt good about giving the presentation.
Unfortunately, I had to scoot immediately after my talk because of another commitment so I wasn’t able to meet more bloggers and get my photo taken with WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg. (Damn!) I did attend the afterparty at the mag:net cafe where I went up to the stage again and performed with the resident Rock-a-oke band, the Johnny’s.
Kudos to the Mindanao Bloggers, the volunteers and the Pinoy Blogosphere for making WordCamp Philippines 2008 possible.
I’ve culled this list form Jehzlau’s blog (I hope he doesn’t mind), where he has a compilation of the WordCamp Philippines 2008 posts. This list is up-to-date as of this writing so check his blog post out, which he updates:
- The Best and Most Memorable Blogger Event in the Phils by Jehzeel Laurente
- I Got Wordcamped! by Tess Termulo
- The First WordCamp in Southeast Asia by Adrian Jeric Peña
- My WordCamp Experience by Master Betong
- WordCamp Philippines by Hannah Rika Villasis
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Nina Fuentes
- Matt at WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Binary Silver
- Matt Mullenweg Highlights from WordCamp Phils by The Bachelor Girl
- WordCamp Philippines Report by Fear the Spork
- WordCamp Philippines Shirt Please by Evenly Piece
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Alrenz Cabasa
- WordCamp Philippines 2008: A Success!
- WordCamp Phils, 1st Southeast Asia WordCamp by Ana Katharina Pena
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 Aftermath by Zero Blade
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Mae Paulino
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Green Bucks
- Matt Mullenweg by Charmed Mom
- WordCamp PH 2008 and Afterparty by Carlo Reid
- WordCamp Philippines After-Party by The WordCamp Philippines Blog
- WordCamp Philippines 08 by Project 365 Days
- WordCamp 2008 Philippines by Karla Redor
- Live Blogging from WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Spilled Lustre
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Aja Lapus
- Experiencing WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Here’s to Life!
- WordCamp Manila Blow-by-blow by Jonel Uy
- Just got home from WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Jayvee Fernandez
- Bloggers’ Event: WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Ada Lajara
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 Winners and Bloopers by Funny Sexy
- WordCamping 2008 by Billycoy
- Ernie Meets Matt Mullenweg by AJ Matela
- Matt Mullenweg, Volunteers, and WordCamp Phils by Misteryosa
- The WordCamp in Philippines by Mark Aethen Agana
- Matt Mullenweg by Animo Hosting
- WordCamp Manila 2008, I was there! by Sha Ang
- On WordCamp 2008 and Meeting MrWordpress by Diventare.org
- My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Experience by Regnard Raquedan
- WordCamp Philippines Status Report by AWB Holdings
- Live from De La Salle CSB, Marocharim is at WordCamp! by Marocharim
- For the Love of WordPress by Kristina Ana Matanguihan
- WordCamp Pilipinas Success by Ikabon
- WordCamp 2008: For Healthy and Wealthy Blogging by Hitokiri Hoshi
- WordCamp 2008 Philippines Success by Arvin’s Thoughts
- WordCamp, Meeting Matt Mullenweg by Miss Wicked
- Meeting Matt at WordCamp 2008 by Urriza.net
- Finally, WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Estan
- Toothache VsWordCamp Philippines by George Putong
- Notes and Photos, WordCamp Philippines a Success by Tonyo Cruz
- Some WordCamp Philippines Afterthoughts by Undercover
- Live Blogging in WordCamp by Pageman
- My WordCamp Experience by Junele Malaga Caravana
- WordCamp Philippines A Success! by WordPress Philippines
- Bakla Goes to WordCamp Philippines by Bakla Ako
- My WordCamp 2008 Experience by Micaela Rodriiguez
- WordCamp 2008 Philippines: It’s a success! by Joyceish
- My WordCamp 2008 Experience by Fitz Villafuerte
- A Personal Evaluation of WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Danny Arao
- An Event Which I Failed To Attend by Dexter Panganiban
- The WordPress WordCamp Fever by Pinoy Web Listing
- WordCamp Philippines by Batang Yagit
- Philippine WordCampers 2008 by Sabrina Lajara
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Roanna Roro
- On Meeting with MrWordpress, Web Standards and Other Stuff by Shari
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 Highlights by Sophia Lucero
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Mong Palatino
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Rowjielogy
- I was WordCamped by The Industrious Time-Waster
- HURAH! for WordCamp Philippines by Migs Hipolito
- WordCamp is on today at De La Salle – CSB by AIM CSB
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 Updates by Teacher Julie
- My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Experience by Icezorg
- I was at WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Gail Villanueva
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 Ramblings by Sarah Cada
- Weekend Snapshots #6 WordCamp Philippines by Joni Ang
- WordCamp Philippines 2008: Bloggers Made Better by WazzupManila
- My WordCamp 2008 Experience by Paul Villacorta
- Success! by WordCamp Philippines Blog
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Tina Elaine
- On Being a Remarkable Responsible Blogger by Scrumptious Anime Blog
- Word-F’N-Camp! by The Deranged Writer
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 – a success! by The Mindanao Bloggers
- WordCamp Philippines, below expectations by Kevin Georg Paquet
- My WordCamp Experience by The Grape Bunch
- WordCamp Philippines 2008: Wicked! by Andrew Dela Serna
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 Video Highlights by Buddy Gancenia
- WordCamped by La Dolce Vita
- The WordCamp that was by Oliver Robillo
- WordCamp Philippines 2008: A Blast! Rein Winds
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by On the 8 Spot
- WordCamp Philippines 2008: Awesome! by i.PH News and Updates
- WordCamp: Developing WordPress Plugins by Markku Seguerra
- A Day of Firsts! by Sablay.Org
- WordCamp Made Me Sick by Charmed Mom
- WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Aileen Apolo
- I was at WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Sun Choke
- My Wordcamp 2008 Experience by Chiq Montes
- My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Story by Ria Jose
- WordCamp Philippines = WIN by Dean Lozarie
Please let me know if you have a post about the event; I’d be glad to add it to the list of links. ðŸ˜€
I also have some rough photos of the event:
Found this news article covering WordCamp Philippines 2008 from GMANews.TV